The Ultimate Travel Grill – Buying Guide
When you are buying a grill you need to understand that you are buying something that you will be taking with you at memorable get-togethers. You need to make sure that the cooking is done right, so the machinery needs to be excellent. The last thing you need when you’re having a fun time outdoors is for the food to be horrible or for the grill to break down. This is why you need the ultimate travel grill buying guide so that you can read before making any decision.
It’s understandable that when you are purchasing something that you want to get it right the first time, but the decision can still get a little overwhelming. In this ultimate travel grill buying guide, we made sure we listed the best travel grills we could find.
The tabletop of this grill is very well built and steady. This grill is fueled by propane and you can easily start it with the twist-start ignition. You can also choose from 3 different colors: black, silver, or reds.
- Weight – 13 pounds
- Size – 18.50 x 16.00 x 11.50 inches
- Materials – Steel
- Color – Silver/Red/Black
- Power Source – Propane
- Cleaning – It has porcelain-enamel coated grill and a spill-resistant tray that makes it very easy to clean
- Burner Power – 5,500 BTU
- Includes – carrying bag
- 145in2 porcelain-enameled grate, giving you an excellent and spacious cooking surface
- Easy to turn on
- Compact and lightweight
- Folding legs are very durable
- Even heat distribution
- Outer case may not be durable
- Not ideal for cooking for huge groups of people
- Drip catcher is small
2. Grillerette Pro – The Smartest Portable BBQ Grill – Take Anywhere BBQ Grill – Battery Powered Fan – Anthracite Black Color
The Grillerette Pro is a very small grill that can be taken almost anywhere. It’s ideal if you do not really have a lot of space to store it. The innovative grill plate blocks grease from spilling over the charcoal, which means that there will be a 90% reduction in smoke.
It comes with a battery-powered fan that helps to get the charcoal lit faster and gives users great heat control.
- Weight – 8 pounds
- Size – 14.5 x 14.5 x 6.5 inches
- Color – Silver
- Batteries – 4 AA batteries required
- Included – grill and cover
- Versatile and you can use it or store it anywhere
- The grill is very lightweight
- With a small space for charcoal and a dripping tray, it’s very easy to clean
- A battery-powered fan lights charcoal faster and keeps it hot for as long as you need it
- The design of this grill ensures 90% less smoke
- It provides food with a natural smokey taste
- You can cook any kind of food on it and it will come out tasting great
- You need to have batteries handy to make sure that the fan is always activated
- Only cooks for one to two people
- Small stature requires that it be placed on a high table
- Does not come with a lid
This grill is both portable and highly versatile as it has all the features that a larger grill would have, albeit in a smaller package. It has three adjustable burners giving you total and precise temperature control. It also boasts a larger grilling area without sacrificing its portable nature.
It’s very easy to set up and has quick-to-fold legs. Only one side of this grill has wheels, making it easy to roll around when the user wishes but stable when the user wants it to remain in place.
- Weight – about 50 pounds
- Grilling area – 285in2
- Dimensions – 30.2 x 19.2 x 16.1 inches
- Grilling Power – up to 20,000 total BTUs
- Power Source – Propane
- Color – Black/Blue/Green/Orange/Red
- 3-year warranty
- Capable of cooking a large amount of food
- Very easy to set up and take down
- Foldable and can be taken anywhere
- Has legs with wheels, allowing it to be moved easily only when the user wishes
- It has little side tables for placing food or utensils
- Comes in many different colors
- Precise temperature controls
- Very easy to ignite with a push-button igniter
- You will have peace of mind with three years of warranty
- Very well built and the lid aids in quicker and more even cooking of the food
- If space is limited the side trays can be slid back in
- Less portable than other grills
- Fairly heavy, especially compared to other portable grills
- The grilling surface may be difficult to clean
This grill is another highly portable piece of machinery that you can take anywhere you go, even if space is limited. It has porcelain-enameled cooking grates that are designed to eliminate flare-ups. The grill is able to heat up any meat that needs a good amount of heat, as well as smaller foods that cook at lower temperatures. This grill is made of premium-grade steel, which ensures the quality of the grill.
- Weight – 13.5 pounds
- Size – 12.2 x 21 x 14.5 inches
- Materials – Steel
- Power Source – Gas
- This grill is compact and highly portable
- The build allows the user to cook a decent amount of food
- It has a push-button ignition which makes it very easy to start
- The lid ensures quick and even cooking.
- It’s made of premium-grade steel with baked-on porcelain-enamel inside and out to ensure excellent quality
- The legs on this grill are not as steady or as versatile as some of the other grills on this list
- Not as easy to clean
- Requires a tall surface to rest on
This grill is highly versatile and can be used as both a freestanding or tabletop grill, depending on your needs. It boasts a 160in2 porcelain-enameled cooking grate. It’s compact enough to take anywhere you go and yet big enough to cook a good amount of food.
It’s very easy to pack away and store this grill, and very easy to open up, set up, and ignite. This grill also has a drip tray so that when you are done it’s easier to clean. The drip tray also helps the grill release less smoke. It’s fair to say that this grill is doing the job of a larger grill while using less gas and taking up less space.
- Weight – 2.2 pounds
- Size – 16 x 16.5 x 31.5 inches (160in2 grilling area)
- Color – Red
- Cleaning – Due to its enameled cooking grate and the dipping tray, it’s very easy to clean
- Burner – 5,500 BTU
- Power Source – Propane
- The legs hold grill at the ideal cooking height, or can be folded away
- Adjustable legs can be stowed or fit to the user’s preferences
- When closed, the food can be cooked quickly and evenly
- This grill is highly portable but it is still able to cook a good amount of food
- Easy to set up, and easy to clean and store when you are done
- Strong enough to cook most kinds of food
- The grill plate allows heat to be distributed easily
- The outer case and handle of the grill may leave a little to be desired in terms of durability
- Stability may be a concern over time
6. Smoke Hollow VT280RDS Vector Series Two-Burner Portable Gas Grill with Folding Side Table by Masterbuilt, Red
This grill is ideal for those who want a smaller version of a large grill, with racks on the side. It has small steady legs and it can be put on any surface so that it can be level to you. The double-layered lid will ensure that the food cooks evenly and quickly, and it boasts two vector burners with a total of 13,000 BTUs as well as a smoke tray burner of 3,500 BTU.
It boasts a 367in2 cooking area so that you are able to cook larger amounts of food despite its portable nature. This grill is highly versatile and can be taken anywhere and put on nearly any kind of surface. You can also easily control the temperature.
- Weight – 33.7 pounds
- Size – 17 x 46 x 19 inches
- Materials – stainless steel
- Color – red & black / stainless all black / black & silver / dark red & black
- Power Source – propane
- Burner – 2 vector burners at 13,000 BTUs, smoke tray burner at 3,500 BTU.
- Offers two large racks that can be folded out so that you are able to keep food or utensils nearby for easy use.
- Very well built, with high quality materials
- Boasts great temperature control
- The legs can be folded in for easy storage
- This grill is highly portable and compact despite also being able to cook a good amount of food
- The hood is double-layered, providing enhanced insulation and thorough cooking
- Although small enough to be taken anywhere, it’s also potent enough to cook all kinds of food
- Since the legs are short, you need to find a tall surface to place it on so that it can be level with you
- It’s heavier than many other portable grills in its class
- Small cooking surface
Now that you have read the ultimate travel grill buying guide with reviews on top products here are two factors that will help you to choose a grill.
Degree of Portability
If you are looking for a grill that is more portable you should look into the Cuisinart CGG-180TS, the Grillerette Pro, and the Weber 1141001 as these can be stored very easily and have a smaller surface.
However, it’s helpful to understand that there are inherently two different kinds of portable grills: tabletops and standing grills. Both tend to offer the same features, but tabletops will require an additional surface to be used.
If you are looking for something that is still very portable yet offers a large surface to cook plenty of food, you should look into the Coleman Roadtrip 285, the Cuisinart CGG – 180, or the Smoke Hollow. These have larger surfaces, are well built, and offer distinct features that will appeal to different needs or users.
We hope that with this ultimate travel grill buying guide, you will finally be able to make a choice for your new grill. As a final note, it helps to have a good sense of your cooking needs before you move to purchase a new travel grill. Will you be cooking for many or only a few people?
Alternatively, what kind of food do you expect to cook on your grill. And lastly, do you want something that sacrifices cooking power for portability, or something that’s more balanced?
These are all important questions to ask yourself before you buy!